I know I'm wittering on about Tony Robbins a lot at the moment, it's just what is current with me right now and his work intrigues me and motivates me - which can be a tough thing to do! And if anyone out there is similar to me, then maybe he can help motivate them too.
First quote in the list and I love it. I think this is where a lot of us fall down, we tell ourselves we can't and so we don't. But if we tell ourselves we can't then we must, we must prove to ourselves that nothing is impossible.
2. "I've come to believe that all my past failure and frustration were actually laying the foundation for the understandings that have created the new level of living I now enjoy"
3. "Beliefs have the power to create and the power to destroy. Human beings have the awesome ability to take any experience of their lives an create a meaning that disempowers them or one that can literally save their lives"
4. "In essence, if we want to direct our lives, we must take control of our consistent actions. It's not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently"
I think this is the quote that resonates with me a lot at the moment as it's what I'm changing at the moment. Taking control of my old habits, my old consistent actions and change them to alter the direction of my life.
5. "One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular"
I think Robbins himself has mastered many a skill throughout his life time and I think that's where the old favourite "can't teach a old dog new tricks" comes into play - you can learn and master whatever you choose whenever you choose in your life.
6. "People are not lazy, they simply have impotent goals... that is... goals that do not inspire them"
7. "Every problem is a gift - without problems we would not grow"
Not that a problem feels like a gift at the time, I think being able to get through your problems and look back to realise those points of growth and change for you, I think that's the gift.
8. "For changes to be of any true value, they've got to be lasting and consistent"
Echoes back to number 4, that drive and power to make a change consistent and lasting is the true challenge of making a change. But it must change, I must change it and I can change it.
9. "Identify your problems but give your power and energy to solutions"
It's not about complaining all the time. I hate people that spend all their time complaining but never come up with any kind of solution - it's almost like they don't want to find a solution and I cannot stand that. I'm made of different stuff. Sometime the solutions don't come to you straight away and I think that's ok, but trying to separate yourself from the problem to see it from different angles can help you see why the problem was put on your path and what you are to learn from it - then a solution will seem easy.
10. " If you find yourself saying 'I can't do something', but you know it in your heart of hearts that if you do it, you're going to grow, you're going to be a better person, it's going to contribute to your family or to your kids or to something that matters, and you keep saying 'I can't do it', there is no question - you must do it. You don't discuss it anymore. You just take immediate action... You do what's necessary"
11. "It's not about the goal. It's about growing to become the person that can accomplish that goal"
12. "A real decision is measured by the fact that you've taken a new action. If there's no action, you haven't truly decided"
13. "When you are grateful, fear disappears and abundance appears"
14. "If you want to be successful, find someone who has achieved the results you want and copy what they do and you'll achieve the same results"
I sometimes find it hard to find someone that I want to follow and even if I do find someone, a lot of the time their path to success is shrouded in secrecy as if they don't want to share the story. I suspect its because they don't want people following in their footsteps and challenging their success. I always find that sad.
15. "If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
We have a saying at work "expect what you accept" and this feels like that. Results won't suddenly appear if there has been no change.
16. "The first thing these people have who succeed, who are fulfilled, is that they've decided what the purpose of the game is, at least right for now"
17. "The more rules you have about how people have to be, how life has to be for you to be happy, the less happy you're going to be"
18. "People who fail, focus on what they will have to go through; people who succeed focus on what it will feel like at the end"
19. "Demand more from yourself than anyone else could ever expect"
20. "Successful people ask better questions, and as a result, they get better answers"
21. "Success in life is the result of good judgment. Good judgement is usually the result of experience. Experience is usually the result of bad judgement"
I like this quote because it simply says, don't get down on yourself because of bad judgement. Bad judgements lead to learning which leads to better judgements which ultimately leads to future successes.
22. "We've all heard about people who've exploded beyond the limitations of their conditions to become examples of the unlimited power of the human spirit.
"You and I can make our lives one of these legendary inspirations as well, simply by having courage and the awareness that we can control whatever happens in our lives. Although we cannot always control the events in our lives, we can always control our response to them, and the actions we take as a result.
"If there's anything you're not happy about - in your relationships, in your health, in your career - make a decision right now about how you're going to change it immediately"
When I was having a hard time a couple of years ago Sean would always say to me, "you are in control of you", meaning that I was in control of my responses to what was going on around me. It was so difficult for me to be able to control my emotional response, to be able to feel in control and as he said it to me over and over again I took that on board and said it to myself all the time. It worked.
23. "Life is a gift, and it offers us the privilege, opportunity and responsibility to give something back by becoming more"
I don't think there are limits to what we can be and who we can become, this quote renews my determination to be more for myself and for others. It makes me want to strive to be more (I have to be careful here as my determination to be better, to be more successful, can sometimes make me feel like a dog straining at a lead) but I have had so many opportunities in my life already - some I have taken, some I have not.
I want to be more, for myself, for what I want and then for my family, to pay back for what my parents have given me. For my partner and for our life together and our future together. I believe it's not just about you, you have the biggest role to play but I have external motivations as well and those are just as important to me as my own ambitions.
What is your favourite quote?